Society Logo
 New Buildings and District
 Archaeological and Historical Society
Society Logo




Home

About us

Programme

Publications

Gallery

Links


E-mail us at:
info@newbuildingshistorical.org.uk

Write to us at:
80 Stoneypath
Newbuildings
Londonderry
BT47 2AF






Fishing


Images of fishing on the Foyle in the New Buildings area.

Commercial fishing was carried out in the area up to the 1980's. The Foyle Fisheries Commission owned cabins in various locations along the river from where fishermen worked each summer during the fishing season.

Group of fishermen hauling nets on the Foyle c. 1928
Hauling the nets

Group of fishermen hauling nets on the Foyle c. 1928
Men manhandling one of the New Buildings fishing boats up the slipway at the Foyle Fisheries premises
Laying up for the winter

Taken in 1974, this photograph shows the men manhandling one of the New Buildings fishing boats up the slipway at the Foyle Fisheries premises at the Waterside. At the end of the season all boats had to be taken from the water in this manner. This boat has a motorised winch.

Old Foyle Fishery Commission's HQ
Old Foyle Fishery Commission's HQ

This photograph was taken in 1974 from one of the fishing boats from New Buildings which was being taken to the commission for "shoring" at the end of the season. The premises have since been knocked down and new premises built further out the Victoria Road. The only part of the old building left is the "Ice house" which was used in the past to store salmon from the catches awaiting shipping.

Fishermen at the cabins at New Buildings
Fishermen at the cabins at New Buildings

Taken in 1928 this photograph shows a group of fishermen while they are waiting for the change of tide. They always commenced fishing from the boats just as the tide "turned" when the flow of water would be slower.

The Cabins at New Buildings
The Cabins at New Buildings

The New Buildings fishery cabins at the bottom of Quay Lane. They were built in the 1890s by the Foyle Fishery Commission and were used during the fishing season each summer as basic living accommodation for the fishermen and for storage of the nets and equipment. They were last used in the 1080s but have now been extensively renovated as two storey dwelling.

The first motorised boat winch
The first motorised boat winch

The engine was taken from a scraped Morris Oxford 1600cc car in the late 1960s. The winch was welded onto an upright rear axle which had the other half cut off. The man with his elbow on the engine housing was Arnold McClelland of Foyle Crescent. In the background you can see two men pulling the other end of the rope to shore where the two ends are brought together and the whole net is pulled in with the salmon caught in the centre.

After the storm
After the storm

Righting the boats after the storm in 1970 which wrecked all of the fishing boats moored at New Buildings.

Recovering the winch engine
Recovering the winch engine

Recovering the winch engines which fell out of the overturned boats after the 1970 storm. The engines were car engines from a scraped Morris Oxford 1600 car which had the winch welded onto the axle.

Salvaging the boats
Salvaging the boats

Hauling one of the wrecked boats to the shore after the storm in 1970. A Massey Ferguson tractor was used and was being driven by Roger McCorkell.

Pulling in the net
Pulling in the net

Pulling in the two ends of the net at the Brandy Point, Prehen in the early 1950. Some hard work.

A tractor mounted winch
A tractor mounted winch

Hauling in the net and catch using a 'Ferguson' tractor mounted winch in the 1950s. This made the job much easier.





Hosted by by The Federation for Ulster Local Studies

Designed by © Pat Devlin 2009